When you wake up in the morning, there are days where you wish everything was as simple as possible. What if your breakfast was already made and your clothes were ironed? You knew exactly what was going to happen that day without any surprises? And you could copy and paste the same response in every email reply?
I haven't found that life magic pill yet, but if you do let me know. What I can do is tell you the menswear magic pill to nailing the perfect work look without too much 'work'.
1) Pick a conservative color (blue, black, grey, brown).
2) Ditch the socks when its hot - they're just another thing to think about!
3) Ditch the tie - it's just ANOTHER thing you'll have to think about.
4) Pick almost any color shirt to wear under your blazer. I went with the denim shirt pictured above and below because it's safe for work and helps dress down the double breasted blazer. People don't see DB blazers every day so it has an intimidation factor that you want to mask as much as possible (but really, DB jackets were first worn in the military before hitting department store racks).
Denim shirts are SFW unless you work in a very conservative work environment such as a bank, law firm, or you're an executive.
5. Choose a pocket square that adds personality and a little contrast.
What's your go-to uniform when you can't decide what to wear? Hopefully you can bookmark this post and use it as a check list on those days when you're just not sure.
Derwin "DJ" Hargrave is a menswear enthusiast whose career began in high school after discovering his passion for helping men dress better. Since then he has made men's style simple for thousands of men in person and over the internet. You can follow him on Instagram and Snapchat @djhargrave